Monday, August 11, 2008

to see beauty


afternoon turquoise, nikon d40

In September, I'll be going to Squam Art Workshops in Holderness, New Hampshire. I am wildly hopeful that the experience will kick-start a sort of creative unfolding for me. And I can't wait to meet all of the beautiful souls who will be there!

Here is a quote which appears on the SAW homepage:

"Anyone who keeps the ability to see beauty never grows old." Kafka

What a fascinating theme for a creative retreat! It gives me hope to think of creativity in terms of the ability to see beauty. I have often wondered why I'm so drawn to the idea of being an artist when making art doesn't seem to come naturally to me. But maybe being an artist can mean more than just making art. Maybe being an artist can also mean seeing art - seeing beauty - in our everyday world. And oh, how I need to see beauty in this world!

Here on my new blog, I hope to share with you the beauty that I see...






4 comments:

Jodi Renshaw said...

Ooohhh... sounds great. I wish I were going :) Congrats on the new blog as well. I look forward to seeing more of it.

Love,
Jodi

Swirly said...

I look forward to sharing the all the beauty this event will most certainly create with you!

Shana said...

Agreed.. There is so much beauty that we need to SEE that God Created in nature ,and to appreciate it!

jenica said...

hi. i'm one of your cabin roomies. i'm happy to meet you and can't wait for these days to pass.

xoxo